Tuesday, September 16, 2008

BATMAN KISSES A SEAL


Kiss From a Rose by Seal

I don't know who the guy was that decided that Batman Forever needed a heartfelt ballad for a theme song, but dear lord, I hope he got a promotion. I guess during the 90s it was a trend for big blockbuster movies to have a hit song associated with them. If we look back there are a few glaring examples, Will Smith's dance video for Men in Black, Aerosmith and Armageddon, Puff Daddy butchering Led Zeppelin in Godzilla, Celine Dion's vomit inducing song for Titanic, you get the picture.

Now, I was pretty young when Batman Forever was released, but I distinctly remember listening to this song on the radio with my parents and telling them that it was my favorite song. What was it about this song that made me adore it so much as a child? Probably the same things that keep me coming back to this video today! Could the appeal lie in Seal in all his ebony, mysterious glory singing in front of the bat signal? Maybe its the juxtaposition of Seal's austere, emotive delivery and clips from Joel Schumacher's giant shit-stain on the Batman franchise. Maybe I'm just attracted to Seal, who knows.

No comments: