Saturday, October 4, 2008

ARAB ON RADAR


Arab On Radar - Live In Louisville (2002)

I remember when I heard Arab On Radar for the first time, when I was in High School. I had never heard anything like it. At the time I was probably fifteen years old and first becoming interested in "weird" music. I was sifting through the threeoneg records back catalog and heard these guys. Compared to the Locust and the Blood Brothers and other "crazy" bands I was in to at the time, these guys were on a whole different level of weird. It took me a while to "get" these guys, but the payoff was worth it.

This band has stuck with me for a few years now and I keep coming back and listening to "Soak The Saddle" and getting my brain melted. I have to say they, more than any of the other bands I listened to in high school, really showed me that it was possible to take something like punk rock and twist it and shape it until it was something almost entirely different. They showed me what it's like to truly innovate within a genre of music. I never got to see them unfortunately, I was a little to young and a little too late. They broke up some time in 2002, a year before I was introduced to them. Threeoneg records thankfully has just release a dvd about the band "Sunshine for Shady People" I'll probably try to pick up a copy soon.

No comments: